Powell River Healthworks Acupuncture Clinic
Our mission is to provide affordable, high quality acupuncture to the Powell River community. We do this by offering individualized treatments in a quiet, open setting and asking you to decide what you can afford on a sliding scale. We want you to come often enough to really be able to get better and stay better, and the sliding scale is our way of helping you make that commitment.
Acupuncture is a therapy that works best with regular treatments given at least once a week, to get lasting effects—Two to three treatments may be sufficient to treat an acute condition and a series of 8-15 may be needed to resolve a longstanding chronic condition. People of average incomes generally stop after two or three treatments, not because they are apathetic about their health, but because they can’t afford the expense of multiple visits to the acupuncturist.
What is different about our clinic?
We treat in a community setting.
Most North American acupuncturists treat patients on tables in individual rooms. This is not traditional in Asia, where acupuncture usually occurs in a community setting. In our clinic we treat patients on recliners in a quiet, soothing common room.
When you walk into the treatment room, you see four or five people sleeping on recliners, their ears and exposed limbs studded with tiny silver needles. There is a soothing, healing atmosphere that blankets the room. A time away from the distractions of our busy lifestyles is valuable, and in this healing space, the shared stillness is perhaps as significant as the needles.
“I so look forward to my treatment time here. It is like an oasis in this crazy world. Thank you for your gentle welcoming ways.”
Treating patients in a community setting has many benefits:
- It makes a commitment to regular treatments affordable through a sliding scale
- It’s easy for friends and family members to come in for treatment together
- Many patients find it comforting
- A collective energetic field becomes established which actually makes individual treatments more powerful.
In some styles of acupuncture, the needles are removed after only a few minutes or after a half hour at most. The style of acupuncture we practice allows patients to keep their needles in as long as they want, and the “right” amount of time varies from patient to patient. Most people learn after a few treatments when they feel “done”; this can take from thirty minutes to an hour or more. Many people fall asleep, and wake feeling refreshed.
How to prepare for your acupuncture treatment:
- It is not recommended that you receive treatment if you are very hungry and/or extremely tired. Therefore, patients should have a small meal or snack before the appointment.
- Wear loose, comfortable clothing that allows us to access your arms and legs, as we mostly use points on the ears and below the elbows and knees. There is no need to undress for treatments.
- Let us know if you are pregnant or have a pacemaker so appropriate acupuncture points can be selected.
- Bring a list of any medications you are taking.
- Refrain from wearing any perfumes or scented oils within the clinic. Many patients, including pregnant women and those undergoing radiation and chemotherapy are very sensitive to fragrances.
- Keep in mind that there will be others in the room with you receiving treatments. Turn your cellphones off when entering the clinic and please be respectful of those around you who have come to relax and renew as you have.